Pre-University Summer Camp
Discovery Summer – what’s that?
Well, Discovery Summer is 2 in 1: for the kids, it’s their perfect holiday dreams come true, and for the parents, too: at last their children start speaking fluent English!
Discovery Summer is 6 excellent language summer camps for kids and teens, invented and created 20 years ago by Jane Merrick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DVlLwrn540) who wanted to find international friends for her two teenage sons. Right now they help their mum to run the Discovery Summer family business, and so every July 6 fantastic traditional English boarding schools welcome kids and teens from more than 40 countries. What’s particularly interesting, English teenagers also take part in the camps.
All of the schools have fantastic grounds and facilities, where you can play all kinds of sports (golf, tennis, swimming, football, horse riding etc). do all forms of art (theatre, dance, film), or even learn how to write code! Of course – you do all that in English. On top of things, kids take two half-day trips weekly to visit Windsor, Oxford and other exciting places in the area.
Winchester College lies just outside the historic walls of Winchester. Founded in 1382, it is one of Britain’s leading academic independent schools and has the longest continuous history of any English school. The historic buildings offer a tranquil environment on beautiful grounds.
Winchester is 100km southwest of London and approximately 1.5 hours by road from London Heathrow and Gatwick.
Only in Winchester! Pre-University – a challenging programme to help you prepare for future university and career choices.
You select 1 Major + 1 Minor per week from the following (click a heading below for more details):
Majors: Business and Economics, International Relations, IELTS and Academic English, Advanced STEM, Film Making & Drama
Minors: Film Making, IELTS Speaking & Listening, Debate, Cultural English, Digital Photography, Philosophy, STEM, Politics
Price: £ 1800 per 1 week (plus 5% YouEnglish discount)
Possible arrivals: July 10, 17 i 24, 2023
Find out more about Winchester:
- comfortable bedrooms with 1 – 6 beds and shared bathrooms. Winchester is a historic, traditional school so do not expect 5-star accommodation!
- full board – meals are taken in the impressive 14th-century, oak-panelled College Hall. Varied menus to suit international students
- close supervision by resident staff
- responsible students may go out in small groups on some afternoons to explore Winchester city centre
- restricted access to mobile phones. WiFi is available.
About the program: Upper-intermediate to proficiency (CEFR B2 – C2)
- 22.5 hours tuition per week (18 hours in your arrival week) divided between Majors Minors, Academic Workshops and end-of-week presentation
- select one Major and one Minor per week
- maximum class size: 16 international students
- experienced teachers bring complex subjects to life
- enhance your critical thinking skills
- Academic Workshops enrich your experience e.g. British Culture, logic & problem solving, and leadership challenges.
Why Discovery Summer Camps are so special:
Check out the organizer’s website: